Talking to “Roto” Reuter, I asked: “What is the main thing that small businesses need to understand in order to be successful in federal contracting?”
His answer: “You have to show that you UNDERSTAND the DOMAIN.”
In other words: “What does it really take to understand the domain, that will give you the credibility to solve issues for the customer? If you are just going into prospective client meetings with a slide deck showing “here’s what we do/have done/want to do,” then are you wasting the customer’s time? How do you show that you understand their priorities and issues, and that you have the team and skills to work with them to solve them?”
We all know that you have to build relationships. Are you including everyone? Does the small business representative know your company and capabilities and are they in a position to advocate? Have you connected to the Contracting Officer and PM? Most importantly – how have you connected to the Stakeholders? What do you understand about the Stakeholders and how they want to see the contracting activity executed?
We’re looking forward to having Roto Reuter of R-Squared Solutions as a keynote speaker at the Florida GovCon Summit in Orlando on February 28-March 1, 2018. He’ll be sharing his insight on “The Brutal Truth about Customer Engagement.”
At R-Squared, Roto and his team of well-respected business community members help businesses identify the best opportunities for reliable and profitable partnerships. During his career, Roto went from test pilot to commander for the Navy’s premier training system research and development organization, managing more than $1 billion in training solutions annually, and leading a diverse team of more than 1200 Navy professionals, both active duty and civilians. He understands what agencies need for the warfighter, and can explain how second-stage small businesses in federal contracting can target opportunities that best fit their strategies.
The Florida GovCon Summit brings together experienced federal contractors for sessions on Targeting, Teaming and Tactics, including:
- Lt. Gen. Thomas Baptiste, USAF Ret. of the National Center for Simulation, keynote on Orlando/Central Florida the Epicenter of the World’s Modeling, Simulation and Training industry!
- Bill “Roto” Reuter of R-Squared Solutions on The Brutal Truth About Customer Engagement in the Federal Market
- Jeff Piersall, author of Dogs Don’t Bark at Parked Cars on Freedom through Ethical Capitalism
- Guy Timberlake of the American Small Business Coalition and Stephanie Zink ofTaurus Group in a “Frick and Frack” style discussion on the do’s and don’ts of federal contracting for small business.
- Bill Harris of Legion Systems with Stephanie Zink of Taurus Group on Differentiating your Federal Business
- Tony Gray of GX and SOF Technology Association with Bernice Glenn of NSXTLwith Seismic Shift: Changing Patterns in Innovation Acquisition Strategies
- Kelly Stratton-Feix of SOCOM and Tambrien Bates of SOFWerx on Innovation Agility
- Cynthia Davis of Radiant Blue on Grow or Exit – Prepare Either Way
- Edward Spenceley of Bank of America/Merrill Lynch and Marc Marlin of Kipps DeSanto on What Makes Your Bankable Makes You Buyable
- Small Business Matchmaking with Tara Wagner of PEO-STRI, Leslie Faircloth of NAWCTSD, Joyce McDowell of NASA-KSC, Chris Harrington of SOCOM and Kim Yarbro of PM-TRASYS
- John Fay of Abacode, Rick Roman of Gulf Coast Underwriters and Steve Berlin ofRumberger, Kirk & Caldwell on DFARS Cyber Compliance
- Wendy Romeu of Alluvionic on CMMI Certification and Process Improvement
- Carroll Bernard of Govology on How Federal Contractors Can Gain a Competitive Advantage Through Market Research
- Barbara Kinosky and Maureen Jamieson of Centre Law & Consulting on Expanding your Opportunities with GSA (Two Sessions)
- Traci Shepps of Cordia Partners, Wayne Leland of Nperspective, Jenny Clark of Solvability on Hot Topics in Cost and Pricing , plus Rich Wilkinson ofUnanet and Carmen Scanlon of Insperity, and Sanjay Bhaskar of Street Shares onIntegrated Business Systems
- Barbara Stankowski of AMTIS Corporation on Joint Ventures: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
- Todd Overman and Richard Arnholt of Bass Berry Sims on How to Structure Effective Teaming Relationships
- Panel of PRIMES with Garth Arevalo of Lukos, Brett Ulander of Logistics Services International, and Carol Craig of Craig Technologies
- The Power of Partnering with Karen Gregory of HRSS Consulting, Kizzy Dominguez of K Parks Consulting, with Barbara Stankowski of AMTIS Corporation
- James Trani of United Healthcare Global, Milt Johns of FH&H Law Firm, Rick Roman of Gulf Coast Underwriters, and Kathleen Wolf on Operating OCONUS
- Adam Goldman of NCMA Mid-Florida, Ed Kinberg of Widerman-Malek andDarrell DeLoatch of FHM on Prime-Sub Management
- Guy Timberlake WORKSHOPS from his Ethical Stalking for Government Contractors ™ including What You Don’t Know About Codes and Contracts Can Hurt You and The Complete FPDS-NG Overview. Click here to join us for his podcast with me on Simplified Acquisition.
- Geoffrey Gallo and Jed Grennan of Grennan Fender Hess & Poparad LLP withRussell Slappey of NPerspective, Chris Bordner of Synergy Wealth Alliance andJeremy Sloane of Sloane & Johnson, in a VIP Value Builder Workshop (comes with Evaluation and post-event strategy sessions)
VETERAN CONNECTIONS TRACK: We’ve created sessions both days for transitioning veterans with a great lineup of speakers, including Kristy Nevils ofBusiness Academy for Veterans on Entrepreneurial Victory for Veterans with Chip Ellis of Federal Contracting Institute on Getting Started in Federal Contracting.
For more information or to register, visit:
To learn more about small businesses in federal contracting – here’s a link to our weekly podcast
Solvability works with second-stage small businesses in federal contracting through annual online training and coaching programs that address 20 Benchmarks we’ve identified as crucial barriers to small business success. We look forward to meeting you at Florida GovCon Summit, where we’ll be collecting participant responses to the 20 Benchmarks, giving you an idea of how you stack up compared to competitors in this market and creating a roadmap that addresses your priorities.